google search this blog, doesn't always work

Thursday, January 26, 2012

My first goat

Today was my first time eating goat; It was also my first time cooking goat.

I used a recipe from the cookbook Cast Iron Cuisine: From Breakfast to Dessert.

Actually I had used this recipe before, but it wasn't with goat, but with leftover lamb.

It took me a couple of days to make.

Cutting up a goat is an adventure; Do not attempt without a cleaver and bone shears.

Where I live, goat is sold by the quarter. I had a forequarter.

After I bought it, I learned that the hindquarter is more preferable for grilling or roasting.

But since this particular recipe is meant for tough meat, the forequarter was fine.

After you cut up the goat into manageable pieces, season them with salt and pepper.

Heat some cooking oil in a cast iron pot and brown the pieces of meat.

Then remove the browned pieces, and in the same pot, brown some chopped onions and whole garlic cloves.

Reduce heat. Put the meat back into the pot.

Add sundried tomatoes and sliced mushrooms*, and enough beef broth** to cover halfway.

*The actual recipe calls for bell peppers but I don't like them.

**You could also use wine, or any other liquid you want.

Put the covered pot in the oven on low heat (250) for a few hours.

Remove the meat and veggies from the pot and strain the broth into a bowl. Refrigerate until a fat cap forms. Remove the fat cap.

Put the meat, veggies and broth back into the pot. Put back in the oven on low heat to simmer some more.

This recipe can also be done in a crock pot, or outside over coals.

The meat was "fall off the bone" tender. It had a different taste. I liked it.

As I understand, the sun dried tomatoes should not be omitted from this recipe, because it makes all the difference in the taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment