google search this blog, doesn't always work

Sunday, September 19, 2010

modified version of Savory Tender Goat

This recipe is modified from Cast Iron Cuisine: From Breakfast to Dessert.

It calls for either goat, venison, or any other tough meat. I had some leftover lamb.

Cut the meat into cubes, and season with salt and pepper. I added onion powder and garlic powder.

In a cast iron skillet, heat a little oil and brown the meat. When it's browned, transfer to a cast iron pot.

In the same skillet, brown garlic cloves and chopped onion. Then transfer to the pot.

The recipe also calls for green pepper and sun dried tomatoes; I loathe green peppers, and didn't have sun dried tomatoes*, so I left them out.

*I've since learned that sun dried tomatoes are an essential ingredient for this recipe.

Deglaze the skillet with water, wine, or broth; I used chicken broth because that's what I had in the fridge. Pour the liquid in the pot.

Add peppercorns, bay leaf, and enough liquid (water, wine, or broth) to cover halfway.

Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, simmer on low for a couple of hours until tender.

Strain the liquid into a separate container and skim off the fat.* Then cook on the stove until it's reduced. I added wondra flour to thicken.

*This is served over baby lima beans, so have some dried baby lima beans cooked in a crock pot ahead of time. You can add some of the bean water to the above liquid, for flavor.

The recipe said to remove the veggies (onions, garlic, etc) before serving, but I left them in.

I served with rice as well as the beans, because I'm from Louisiana and we eat stuff with rice.

I'm sure the sun dried tomatoes would have made a difference in the overall taste, but it was still good.

2 comments:

  1. Goat (and braised lamb, for that matter) has a particular affinity for sun-dried tomatoes, as it does for dried chanterelle mushrooms. The distinction between this dish with the tomatoes and without the tomatoes is quite pronounced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well I've still got some, so not too late to add the tomatoes... I did try the braised "goat" (lamb) shoulder steaks with the tomatoes and it was good.

    ReplyDelete