google search this blog, doesn't always work

Friday, January 18, 2013

My "wonderful enchiladas" that aren't really enchiladas

Before I started really cooking, there were a select few things I knew how to make.  

One was what I called "wonderful enchiladas".

Except there was only one problem:  They weren't enchiladas, because they were made with flour tortillas instead of corn, and with salsa instead of enchilada sauce.

I didn't care though; They were good.  

Well, over the years since I've started really cooking, I've improved on the recipe, so now they're even better!

The first recipe was very simple:  Flour tortillas, refried beans, velveeta cheese, and salsa.  Into the oven at 300.

And the first recipe was indeed good.

But you want to make THIS recipe, because it's even better:

First you make what I call a "mexican base."  

You brown some ground round, chopped onions, and minced garlic, in a cast iron skillet, until they are cooked.

Add some onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, cumin, and coriander.  You can also add chili powder if you want to make it spicy.

Then add some pinto beans*, drained, and a can of diced tomatoes, drained.

*Canned or cooked dry beans, doesn't matter.

Cook a little while longer until it's blended.

Then you take another cast iron pan, and lay out the flour tortillas.

Spoon the mixture in each tortilla.  Add some cheese; I use half white american cheese*, and half monterey jack.

*I now use white american cheese instead of velveeta; It tastes fresher and less "processed".  Some might prefer cheddar, but I don't like the way cheddar melts.

Then pour on some red enchilada sauce.  Or homemade salsa, if I have some.

Top with shredded Mexican cheese blend.

Into the oven at 300.  Or 325, if you want the tortillas more crisp.

Serve with sour cream.

They.  are.  awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment