google search this blog, doesn't always work

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"skip a couple of steps" chicken and dumplings

I've made chicken and dumplings before.

There are lots of recipes for chicken and dumplings.

Here's another recipe I tried, that "skips a couple of steps" over my previous recipe.

It is meant for a crock pot, but can also be slow cooked in a cast iron pot* or camp oven.

*When I slow cook in a cast iron pot, I prefer to do it in the oven at 250, over using a stove burner. It cooks more evenly that way.

Season raw boneless chicken*, with poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper.

*I found that using "pre cooked" chicken makes it too dry.

Brown it in a cast iron skillet, then add to the pot.

Add 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 can cream of celery soup.

Add equal portions of chicken broth and milk. More if you like it soupy, which I don't, so I add less.

Add your veggies. Normal veggies are carrots, onions and celery, but I used what I had in the fridge.

Those were carrots, mushrooms, and one red potato.

Some people like to add peas.

Let it simmer on low heat, until the chicken is all the way cooked. Use a meat thermometer.

Take a can of Grands biscuits and break them into small pieces.

Or you can use thawed frozen biscuits, if you don't like canned. (I don't usually).

Drop them in the pot and continue cooking until they're done. About an hour.

Season with more black pepper. Chicken and dumplings!




No comments:

Post a Comment