google search this blog, doesn't always work

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Can you grill fish directly on a volcano stove?

On a standard grill, you can't really grill fish directly on the grill, because fish "flakes," and chunks can fall between the grates when you turn it.

Instead, you either wrap the fish in aluminum foil, or use a grill basket or fish plank.

The Lodge sportsman's grill eliminates this problem, because the spaces between the grates are only 5/16 of an inch.

Yes, I'm a nerd, and I measured: The volcano grill's spaces are just under 1/2 inch.

Which is smaller than a standard grill, but larger than the Lodge sportsman's grill.

So, since I had some charcoal to use up, and some fish to cook, I decided to see if fish can be cooked directly on the volcano.

This was salmon fillets, which I seasoned with cumin, coriander and cilantro.

It was the first time I tried that seasoning on salmon.

There was some minor flaking, which is unavoidable, but no big chunks were lost in the grill.

But some fish is more delicate than salmon, and will flake more.

So if you're still worried, go ahead and use aluminum foil, or a basket or plank.

No comments:

Post a Comment