google search this blog, doesn't always work

Sunday, April 1, 2018

Past experience with the volcano stove, and trying to decide if I want one again

Years ago, I got a Volcano stove, after reading all of the hype about how great it was.

I used it several times, and experimented with it.  Some of my experiences were good, and some did not meet my expectations.

About two years ago, on finding that it was permanently stuck in a half-open position (would not collapse, would not completely open), I donated it.  

That was actually one of my main issues with it, that I never posted about.  The collapsible Volcano gets stuck entirely too easily.  In fact, I kept it in the open position, because it was too difficult to open once it was collapsed.  And then, when I brought it to an outdoor gathering, someone there decided to collapse it, for whatever god forsaken reason.  I was not happy, because it sure was a pain to get open again!

But it had its uses too.  A small charcoal grill / stove, a small propane grill / stove (but it's a hassle to install and remove the propane burner, so pick the one you like most).  Useful for wok cooking using coals or propane.  Useful for cooking in a camp oven WITH COALS, NOT PROPANE.  

So anyway, as it did have its uses, I've been considering getting one again.  But there are two problems:  1.  They're all out of stock at the moment, and 2.  They're expensive!

Not to mention, the helluva time I had opening it, once it was collapsed.  Oh, it wasn't exactly easy to collapse, either.

So... is it worth getting again?  or can I fulfill the same purpose with something else that I have?

Enter the 18 inch Old Smokey, a really nice charcoal grill that you can certainly bring on a camping trip.  The current price is $43.95.

Does it collapse?  No, but you already know how I feel about collapsing.  It's definitely lighter to carry than the volcano.  

Does it use propane?  No, unless you want to get a propane burner with regulator, and install it yourself.  Keeping in mind that this would be permanent, because it would require drilling a big hole in the side of the bottom.  Also keeping in mind that you definitely can NOT cook in a camp oven using propane.

Can you cook in a wok using this?  Yes, If you buy the small size Vortex, using the direct heat function.  It currently costs $35.95.

Can you cook in a dutch oven using this?  No reason you can't; just use the bottom part.  I know what they say about how much more efficient the volcano stove was, but in my experience, six of one, half dozen of the other.

Or you can get a Camp Chef cast iron dutch oven stand

Can you use wood?  The people at Old Smokey say yes.

So, for about $80 (Old Smokey 18 inch and small Vortex), you have the same capability as the "non propane" Volcano.  

Propane burners with regulator can range from $30 to $100, I found.  If you want propane.




No comments:

Post a Comment