google search this blog, doesn't always work

Monday, December 24, 2012

my first roasted ham!

I made my first roasted ham today!

I could have got one of those boneless spiral cut hams, with the package of glaze included.

But I decided that I've never roasted a ham before, and I wanted to do it "old school!"

I didn't really have a recipe.  I used a half a "bone in"  ham.

I just threw it in a covered cast iron pot, with the fat side up.

I added a can of sliced pineapple with the juice, some brown sugar, some dry mustard and some ground cloves.

Next time I'll add less ground cloves, and more dry mustard and brown sugar.

It was also suggested to me that I could have added some coca cola!

I roasted it in the oven, covered, at 325 degrees.

It was delicious!  I'll remember to increase the brown sugar and dry mustard for next time.

There was a considerable amount of liquid in the pot, which I reduced on the stove to make it thicker.

Be sure you use a "bone in" ham for this recipe.  I tried it on a boneless ham and it wasn't anywhere near as good!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds delicious! What kind of cast iron pot did you use? Most Dutch ovens aren't tall enough to fit something this big. Thanks for your great blog, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, sorry about the delay! I used the 5 quart Lodge dutch oven. It was a half of a bone-in ham.

    ReplyDelete