google search this blog, doesn't always work

Thursday, January 5, 2012

My first chicken cordon bleu

I made my first chicken cordon bleu!

I flattened some boneless skinless chicken breasts, then butterfly cut each one.

If I were to do this again, first I'd cut each chicken breast in half, and then flatten each half so they're really thin.

That would make it easier to stuff, and it would be a better balance of chicken to stuffing, instead of mostly chicken.

Then in each breast, I put one thin slice of ham, one slice of provolone and one slice of white american cheese.

I must warn you, american cheese will melt all over the pan. It was still VERY good, but if you don't want cheese all over the pan, then stick with the provolone.

You can use mostly any white cheese; Some recipes call for swiss.

Then I rolled each stuffed breast in parmesan bread crumbs.

Into the oven at 350.

The sauce is optional: Melt 2 tbsp butter, then whisk in 2 tbsp flour. Whisk in 1 cup chicken broth and 1 cup cream. Add black pepper and oregano.

It was very good, just too much chicken and not enough stuffing. Hence, next time I'll cut the breasts in half.

2 comments:

  1. Goodness, gracious you make my mouth water....I don't mind the cheese all over the pan...something extra special about peeling overdone cheese off the edge of a cast iron pan.
    Well done. Guess who just happens to have all the ingredients. The only thing I might change is my garden dried lemon thyme in place of the oregano.
    I'm starving here now.
    We're having GrandLoves stay the weekend and are trying Crockpot Mac n' Cheese.
    BlessYourHeart

    ReplyDelete
  2. lemon thyme would also be delicious...

    ReplyDelete