google search this blog, doesn't always work

Friday, October 28, 2011

The Fried Chicken question

Someone posted a question to the Lodge facebook page, about their fried chicken recipe.

The question was about the part where you cover and cook on low heat for 45 minutes.

She wanted to know, does that mean removing from the fryer and finishing in the oven?

I believe they mean leave it on the stove on low heat for 45 minutes, but it got me thinking.

What if you do want to start it on the stove and finish in the oven? How would it turn out?

The advice I've received was, fried chicken in the oven COVERED, is not a good idea. It will get soggy.

However, if you remove it from the fryer when it's almost done, put it on a flat cast iron pan, in the oven on very low heat, that will make the chicken crispier.

The basic method is, brown on higher heat, simmer on lower heat, then raise the heat and uncover to crisp. I like the idea of crisping in the oven so it doesn't spatter.

I haven't tried the Lodge recipe for fried chicken, but I'd like to.

You can find the recipe here.


No comments:

Post a Comment