google search this blog, doesn't always work

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Thoughts on rigging up a cast iron grill

I got an idea in the middle of the night, that unfortunately won't pan out as I'd hoped.

Pictured above is the dome lid for my ultimate turkey roaster, which doubles as a pot, as well as the bottom rack.

I was hoping to be able to use the rack and pot, as a makeshift charcoal grill. But as you can see, it's too small to fit on top.

The rack would fit on top of my 5 quart pot, but there would be very little cooking area, and hot charcoal would warp the seasoning.

I don't use this dome lid as a pot for cooking. It's too large for my stove, and I don't have a lid that fits*.

*I have since obtained a Lodge 13 inch lid, which doesn't fit perfectly, but it does fit.

But I'd really like to find more uses for it, than just a dome lid for my roaster.

The Lodge Sportsman's grill costs $100. Since the Sportsman's grill is, essentially, a large cast iron pot, with a cast iron rack on top, I could have saved some $$ if my idea would have worked.

Lodge does sell a cast iron grill grate, that's 15 x 11 inches. According to my measurements, that would work. It costs $40.

If you don't already have a large pot that you don't intend to cook in, and would have to buy one anyway, you might as well just get the grill.

I haven't decided yet, if I'm going to do it the cheap way (use this pot with a grill grate), or just bite the bullet and get the grill.

Someone made a very valid point, though: The grill is thicker than the average cast iron pot, for the purpose of lighting coals without cracking.

I'm not sure I want to risk cracking my pot!



No comments:

Post a Comment