google search this blog, doesn't always work

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

modified Smoke alarm steak (or chops)

This recipe is modified from "Cast Iron Cuisine: From Breakfast to Dessert."

It's called "smoke alarm steak or chops", and it can be for beef steak or lamb chops.

Take your steak or chops, and age in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. Aged meat is "the secret" for many recipes in this book.

Season with black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.

Onion powder and garlic powder is "the dynamic duo" and that goes in almost everything I cook.

Preheat your skillet on high heat. Throw in some salt and pepper.

When the skillet smokes, put your steak in, and cook. The book said 2 minutes each side, but I like mine rare so I did one minute each side.

Remove meat, reduce heat, deglaze the skillet with homemade beef stock, or red wine, or both.

Add 1 tbsp butter and let it melt. Whisk in some wondra flour to thicken.

Pour gravy over the steaks.

If you'd like, saute some onions in butter to serve with the steak. But it was just as delicious without the onions.

7 comments:

  1. The book said two minutes because, as I think the recipe said, Matt's dad used frozen steaks. At two minutes per side, they came out just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from the land down under. I saw your blog link the in the COCIA forum. I am a member there also. I cook a bit but feel I am still learning and will read more of your blog later on. Sometimes I need a "translator" as we dont have the variety of ingredients that you have in your country or things simply have a completely different name, I hope you will be patient with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe for "Dad's steak" was for frozen steaks... If the steaks had been frozen, then 2 minutes would have been good.

    Hi Carolyn! Feel free to ask if you need to, I totally understand about ingredients having different names or being unfamiliar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day, mate. Nice to see an Aussie posting in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got it wrong. *blush* Matt says the Smoke Alarm Steak does NOT use frozen steaks (that's from "Dad's Steak"). It DOES use aged beef, as you have so correctly reported.

    Channeling Matt here: "The recipe does not call for onion or garlic powder, although either or both would not detract from it. Also, what you are making with the flour and butter is a roux (must be your Louisiana background). I have never used roux, although that should work. I prefer a thinner 'sauce' rather than a 'gravy.'

    "Carolyn, I understand your confusion about American ingredients. Not many of us Yanks know what Vegemite is." [end Matt channel]

    [Don't know why he can't post in direct; I'll play with his settings and see if I can get him unchanneled so you have it direct from him.]

    ReplyDelete
  6. The onion powder and garlic powder was indeed my addition... I add that to ALMOST everything.

    The thickening with flour is also my addition... I like thick sauce.

    Sounds like what you prefer is more like "au jus".

    I actually found Vegemite in my local grocery store and tried it. I'm sure it's an acquired taste. My husband's aunt lives in Tasmania and she smears vegemite on poultry as a seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vegemite well I must admit to rarely eating it but its a must in the kitchen for grandkids on toast for breakfast. It has mostly a strong salty flavour. My favourite memories of having it are on toast topped with sliced raw home grown tomatoes around Xmas time(our summer). You can also use it as a hot drink just mix a tablespoon in a mug of boiling water. Its main value is it is hight in Vitamin B.

    ReplyDelete