google search this blog, doesn't always work

Thursday, September 23, 2010

slightly modified Noble Short Ribs of Beef

This recipe is modified from Cast Iron Cuisine: From Breakfast to Dessert.

This recipe is actually the same as for the Noble Pot Roast, which I tried already, and it's awfully good roast. I decided to try it for the beef short ribs.

The main secret is aged meat, so buy some short ribs nearing their "sell by" date.

Season with salt and pepper (I added onion powder and garlic powder as well), leave in the refrigerator for 5 days, turning once a day.

When you're ready to cook, dust lightly with flour.

The recipe calls for melting some beef fat in a cast iron pot; I used butter. Brown the ribs in the fat or butter, and remove.

Deglaze the pot with red wine, put the ribs back in, and add homemade beef stock.

If you don't have homemade beef stock, store bought will do, but it won't be the same. My suggestion would be to add some "better than bouillon" beef base to the store bought stock.

Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce heat and transfer to the oven to slow cook at 300.

To make this a lot less bad for you: After the ribs are done, remove them from the pot, transfer the liquid to a container, and refrigerate.

I was going to skip this step because the liquid didn't appear greasy. I was shocked to find that the fat cap was two inches thick.

Remove the fat cap that has formed. Return the liquid to the pot and cook on the stove to reduce. I like to add Wondra flour to thicken.

While refrigerating the liquid, you can keep the ribs in the oven so they don't get cold. But if they do, just reheat in the oven on low heat.

I've never made short ribs before. These were very good, but also very rich and I could only eat one.

No comments:

Post a Comment