google search this blog, doesn't always work

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pancake balls - I got it right on my first try!

So far, I've used my aebleskiver pan for everything except what it's supposed to be used for: aebleskivers, or pancake balls.

I was intimidated because it appeared to be difficult. But, it's a lot easier than it sounds.

I thought for sure it would be a mess, and I'd have to practice several times.

I used the same recipe that I use for regular pancake batter: 2 cups bisquick, 1 cup milk, 2 eggs. Or use your favorite scratch recipe.

Some recipes I found called for more eggs.

They're supposed to be filled with jam, or covered with powdered sugar.

Be sure you preheat the pan, and spray with butter flavored Pam. Use medium to low heat.

Fill the cups about 2/3 full; It will expand during cooking! Wait for bubbles to come up.

Then use chopsticks to rotate them 1/4 turn. If they won't move, they aren't ready; They'll move easily when they're ready.

Let the batter cook some more, then rotate them again, let the batter cook.

Don't remove them too soon or they'll have uncooked batter in the middle. Just watch to make sure they don't burn.

I found some awesome ideas for things you can add to the pancake batter here. Scroll down to "most helpful review."

There's a helpful video here.

In the past, I've used this pan for brownies, mini muffins, beer rolls, and even to grill spare ribs.

I finally conquered pancake balls!


No comments:

Post a Comment