google search this blog, doesn't always work

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

my first salisbury steak

I used to love TV dinners, and one of my favorite varieties was salisbury steak.

Mind you, frozen salisbury steak doesn't hold a candle to homemade!

I got this recipe off the internet and it was indeed awesome.

If I were to do this again, I would add a chopped onion and mix it in with the meat, like I do with my burgers and meatloaf.

I used the Lodge 13 1/4 inch skillet with lid for this!  

I have a gas stove; that skillet should not be used on an electric stove because the burners are too small.

Crumble two pounds of ground chuck in a bowl.  Mix in an egg, minced garlic, plain bread crumbs, worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and 1/3 cup of Campbell's condensed French Onion soup*.

*You don't need to add salt or other seasonings, because the French Onion soup is plenty seasoned. 

Form into patties.

In another bowl, mix the rest of the can of Campbell's condensed French Onion soup with 1 tbsp of flour.  

Then add more worcestershire sauce, ketchup, black pepper, and mustard powder.

Heat up the cast iron skillet, then brown the patties on both sides.  

Add the mixed sauce to the skillet, cover, and continue cooking for about 20 minutes.

Serve with mashed potatoes.

1 comment:

  1. Funny I always loved those TV dinner ones also! I'll have to give this a try I haven't had them for years!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete