google search this blog, doesn't always work

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

my first homemade yogurt!



I made my first homemade yogurt!  

I was nervous about how it would turn out, but indeed, it is bona fide yogurt.

Yogurt is not made in cast iron.

Most of the time, you heat the milk on the stove, and if you're using cast iron, the seasoning will dissolve into the milk.  

But believe it or not, I did not heat the milk on the stove.  How was that possible?

I used a unique yogurt making machine, called the miracle yogurt maker.

With this machine, you don't have to heat the milk on the stove, or measure the temperature.

You take a quart carton of whole milk -- make sure it's whole milk!

Let the milk get to room temperature.  If it's too cold, it won't work.

You need a "starter".  There are powdered starter cultures, but I used a container of Activia brand yogurt.

The yogurt also needs to be at room temperature when you mix it in the milk.

Plain yogurt is preferred, but I couldn't find any plain Activia, so I used a random flavor.  

I chose Activia because it has good active cultures.  You can use any yogurt you want, but be sure it has active cultures.

Mix in some powdered milk if you want thicker yogurt.

Put the carton inside the machine, plug it in, and leave it for 24 hours.

The instructions say 12, but that was not long enough.

If you like more tart yogurt, you can leave it for 48 hours.

Refrigerate overnight before eating.  The yogurt will thicken in the refrigerator.

I had it with blueberries!  

You might want to add sugar if you're used to sweeter yogurt.




No comments:

Post a Comment