google search this blog, doesn't always work

Monday, February 27, 2012

my first birthday cake


This is the first birthday cake I ever made, and it was for my own birthday.

In a Lodge 12 inch cast iron skillet, of course.

A 12 inch cast iron skillet is a similar volume to a 13 x 9 inch rectangular pan.

Which is important to know, if that's what the recipe calls for!

This is a yellow cake with chocolate frosting. I added pecans to the batter and the top of the cake.

It's probably the same birthday cake I had 30 years ago! I used to always ask for that cake for my birthday.

I used a Duncan Hines mix, and followed the recipe on the box.

If you're using cast iron, you need to make the oven temperature 25 degrees cooler than the directions state. For example, 350 instead of 375.

This is because cast iron retains heat much longer than aluminum and glass.

Also, be sure you wait until the cake cools before you add the frosting!

I learned that you should not attempt to make a cake without a cake mixer.

I used an immersion blender, which did the job, but initially made a mess on the floor and the cabinets!

Happy birthday to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment