google search this blog, doesn't always work

Monday, February 20, 2012

can you steam in a crock pot?

Hi! Once again, I realize this is "ramblings on cast iron" and not "ramblings on crock pots."

Anyway, I previously posted about my Rival brand crock pot.

Rival's new design is flawed, rendering it useless as a slow cooker, and I'd encourage you to buy Hamilton Beach instead.

But I didn't want to just throw it away. So I wondered if it could be used as an electric steamer.

The short answer is yes. Put water or broth on the bottom, then whatever you want to steam, and turn it on high.

I used it first to steam lobster tails and frozen corn on the cob. Then I used it to steam salmon.

Both times it took about an hour, but it turned out good.

You could do the same thing with a covered cast iron pot on your stove.

Of course if you WANT an electric steamer, you're better off getting an electric steamer, or large rice cooker.

Don't buy a Rival crock pot just to have an electric steamer handy. Don't buy Rival crock pots at all!

But at least now we know that you can steam in a crock pot. And in a cast iron pot!

No comments:

Post a Comment