google search this blog, doesn't always work

Thursday, September 29, 2011

My first cajun rice (or "dirty rice")

I made my first cajun rice, also called "dirty rice." It was hands down the best I ever had.

I used the Lodge 3 quart chicken fryer but it can also be done in a dutch oven or camp oven.

I browned 1 pound of 93% lean ground beef, along with chopped onion and chopped green onion.*

*Some people add chopped fresh mushrooms and/or minced garlic.

Added cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.

When it was done, added 1 cup of white long grain rice and 2 cups of beef stock*.

*Some people use canned onion soup instead of beef stock.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, simmer until the rice is cooked.

During cooking I added a little more beef stock.

I know dirty rice doesn't normally contain cilantro, but I bet it would be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment