google search this blog, doesn't always work

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

sort of a philly cheesesteak but not authentic

I've never had a real philly cheesesteak, but on a whim, I made sort of one.

It's supposed to be made with provolone cheese, or white american; I used swiss and mozzarella.

Many recipes I find call for cheez whiz, the processed cheese in a jar. Um, no.

Velveeta would work, but I prefer white cheeses.

It's supposed to be made with sliced ribeye, but I had good old sliced roast beef.

It's supposed to be made with peppers; I don't do peppers. I used tomatoes.

Sometimes they include mushrooms, but I didn't have any.

Cook down a few onion slices in a cast iron skillet (and mushrooms if you have them).

If you're using sliced ribeye, you might have to cook it first. You can cook it with the onions.

On a griddle, put your bottom french bread, cooked onions, tomatoes, and cheese.

On another griddle, your top french bread, roast beef, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, more cheese.

Under the broiler until the cheese is melted. Watch so it doesn't burn.

In some cases, the meat, veggies and cheese are all cooked together in a skillet, then put on bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment